Carbon Fiber Strengthening & Flange Encapsulation of 36-inch Cooling Water Pipe
Problem vs Solution
- A routine inspection discovered loose bolts in the flange
- Tightening of the bolts caused cracking in the FRP header requiring an emergency shutdown of the cooling tower
- ShapeShift™ high build filler was used to transition over the 3-inch step over the flange
- CarbonSeal™ was applied to strengthen the transition and create a water tight seal over to prevent leaking
- Emergency materials were ordered and shipped same day along with structural calculations
See the before and after photos below.